MEDFORD PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD meeting. Monday September 16, 2019
MEDFORD PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD
Monday September 16, 2019
FRANCES L. SIMEK MEMORIAL LIBRARY
CALL TO ORDER: President Dan Miller called the meeting to order at 5:00 PM.
ROLL CALL: Board members present: Dan Miller, Wendy Plawski, Marsha Klingbeil, and Rachel Hackel. Laura Holmes-late, John DeBruyne and Beth Leao excused.
SECRETARY PRO TEM:
VISITORS: Library Director Erica Clarkson.
CITIZEN(S) AND/OR DELEGATIONS:
CORRESPONDENCE AND COMMUNICATIONS:
APPROVAL OF BOARD MINUTES FROM PREVIOUS MEETING, August 19, 2019: After review of the minutes, a motion was presented by Klingbeil and seconded by Plawski that the minutes be approved. All ayed. Motion carried.
APPROVAL OF BILLS: After review, a motion was made by Plawski and seconded by Hackel to approve the detailed bills totaling $6,421.04 and direct charges of $847.16. Roll call vote: Hackel-Yes, Miller-Yes, Plawski-Yes, Holmes-Yes, Klingbeil-Yes. (5 Yes; 0 No). Motion carried.
DISCUSSION OF INCOME/EXPENSE STATEMENTS: Clarkson reported that the 2019 year-to-date expenditures were 81.09% of the budget.
DISCUSSION/APPROVAL OF LIBRARY REPORT: Clarkson made the following highlights to the August 2019 Library Report:
- August circulation is down by 5,523 from July, but up YTD by 9,433 from a year ago.
- Passive programming totaled 600 participants this month.
- DVD’s for August totaled 2,862 and Easy Readers 1,357.
A motion was made by Holmes and seconded by Klingbeil to approve the August 2019 Library Report.
DIRECTOR’S REPORT: Clarkson made the following highlights to the August 2019 Director’s Report:
- Annual Sidewalk Chalk Contest totaled 113 people.
- Air conditioner is fixed.
COMMITTEE AND OTHER REPORTS:
- Executive Committee—Miller, DeBruyne, Leao
- Policy Committee—DeBruyne, Plawski, Klingbeil
- Budget Committee—Leao, Holmes, Hackel
- Friends Activities—via newsletter
- County Library Board-Miller, Hackel
Discussion/Long Range Plan: Reviewed.
Discussion/Recommendation: Policy Pages 44 L-48 Reviewed.
FUTURE BUSINESS: Discussion: Policy Pages 49-56
SET NEXT MEETING DATE: The next regular Library Board meeting was set for Monday, October 21, 2019 at 5:00 P.M. at the Frances L. Simek Memorial Library.
Adjournment: At 5:40 PM amotion to adjourn the meeting was made by Holmes and seconded by Hackel.